Well I did do a dye job yesterday. I love the results!
As you can see one piece turned out lighter than the other. That’s not unusual in the dyeing business. Not sure how it will work. I will have to try it out today. I’m thinking I’ll use different parts for different areas of the background.
I also dyed some yarns and ribbon to vary texture in the background. They are even lighter yet. Hopefully the background will not be too busy!
I had a blog post all typed up describing spot dyeing, but it disappeared. I never know what’s going to happen with technology around here!
Basically spot dyeing is when you mix up multiple colours of dye and pour it in spots on some fibre that is all scrunched up and sitting in a casserole pan lined with tin foil. You add the mordant (chemical that sets the dye), cover the entire thing in tin foil, and steam it in the oven for about an hour. Pull it out, let it cool, rinse thoroughly, dry, and, voilá, beautiful fibre to hook with! 🙂
As for my Saturday review…my chief goal this week was to sort out the Customs situation with the Sauder Village pieces. That was accomplished to the best of my ability. Also to draw the patterns for Rose Hips and Saskatoons and get them on backing. And to start hooking Rose Hips. All that was accomplished too.
I’ve had an opportunity for another exhibit put in front of me, but am not sure I want to enter. I have three more exhibits to prepare for, and I’ve sent work to two already this year. This would make a sixth. I have to think about it. It would mean some fast hooking between now and June 22nd. I don’t think I could manage that. But I might manage using a newer piece already hooked. Hmm…will look in my stash and re-read the requirements.
I don’t receive a lot of notice for some of these exhibits. I prefer about a three to four month lead time to fit a new group exhibit into my schedule. Especially when I have so much on the go, like this year.
Well that’s about it for this week. Hope everyone has a great weekend! Thanks for reading! 🙂