I’m back at the Parker’s Cove fishing shacks series!  Last week I made and sewed on hanging sleeves.  This week I’m attaching the rope around the edges. Hopefully I’ll have some nice finished pieces to show you all next week.

In other news…

Our two raised garden beds we ordered locally arrived Tuesday.  The soil came in the morning.  The beds arrived in the afternoon.  This week has been spent setting things up and planting.

We decided to create a mix of no dig, Hugelkultur and lasagna garden beds. So the raised beds went directly on meadow plants in our backyard.  Then we layered the bottom of the beds with two to three layers of flattened cardboard boxes, stripped of all tape and labels.  On top of that we piled branches from pruning the numerous trees around here.  On top of that we layered about an inch of grass clippings.  On top of that we layered about 4” of dead leaves from last fall.  On top of that we added about  four to six inches of the soil we ordered. Then we added two big bags of seaweed compost and a half bag of sheep manure.  We mixed that into a top layer of more of the garden soil we had ordered.  We left room at the top of the 19” deep raised beds for addition of mulch once the seedlings grow.

We raked the garden smooth and staked out the square foot grids. Then we built the garden structures and installed them.  I had great fun teaching Hubby some old Girl Guide knots and how to lash.  He was interested initially, but the novelty wore off. 😂 We planted the first raised bed on Friday.

I had to sew two garden nets together to make netting big enough to go over the garden structures.  Our yard is surrounded by trees and nesting birds.  There were some very curious robins keeping an eye on us.  Not only do we have birds too contend with, but also deer, racoon, rats and skunk. Oh, and neighbourhood cats that run wild.  So the netting is a good investment of time and money.

Saturday we planted the second raised bed. It went much quicker.  We did companion planting in the beds.  So, while we planted 35 different varieties of seed, we didn’t plant a lot of any one variety.  Now we water and wait.

Friday we also purchased and put together a small tumbling compost bin. It had 56 screws and nuts!  Seems to work well though. The bin was purchased at Canadian Tire.  It sits on a stand up off the ground, keeping it out of reach of rodents. It’s small, but if it works we may buy an additional one next year.  We’re looking for easier ways to do things, now we’re growing older. Turning a compost pile manually is too hard on our backs.

%d bloggers like this: